Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Something so simple, yet totally perplexing.

I am amazed.

I have literally spent days upon days now trying to find a book.

Just one simple book.

The Bible.

Here's the background. I have a ton of Bibles around here. I think I counted 14 of them around here. That does not include children's Bibles or New Testaments. You would think that I should have no problems at all with a Bible to read. I literally have enough for two in every room in my house if you don't include the kitchen. So there is no good reason for me to need another one.

Well, in reality I don't. I have a perfectly adequate New International Version my parents gave me in 1991. Nothing in the world wrong with it. I read it daily, and take it to church every week.

The "problem" is that I "need" a study Bible to use every day. And I want the most accurate translation available. There's the problem. Who defines accurate. Right out of the box I looked at the English Standard Version. The hottest new version of a 2000 year old book on the market.

WOW! Let's all run out and buy one! I can't wait!

Great idea, unless you read the interwebs. Of course, you shouldn't read the interwebs without consulting me first my children. Like Rush Limbaugh, I'll do your thinking for you.

There are so many commentaries on the various translations that it will make your head swim.

So, have I chosen my next Bible? Nope. But I have a plan.

I'm going to buy something with a pretty color, with those fancy thumb tab thingys, not too expensive, in whatever version my preacher suggests. As soon as he responds to my e-mail question.

Now that's some real objective research!

So, until my next post; nobody move. I'll be right back.

4 comments:

  1. I've decided to one-up your trade offer:

    I've got the ideal Bible for you. It's the perfect study one...the catch is that it comes with two kids.

    Sleep on it and let me know what you think.

    lol. Good luck finding one, Brian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Young feller-- ye jest need da King James version wit no commen-terrie. Ye can interpritt it threw thoughtful med-i-tatshun an' prayin'. Th' language is poetic an' its da one used by our fathas an' their fathas befo dem... jest an' idea. mite alse seggest th' Wyclif Bible ( http://www.sbible.boom.ru/wyc/wycle.htm ) an' da beau-tee-full Scottish Metrical Psalter (http://www.cgmusic.com/workshop/smp_frame.htm ). Heck, use 'em all an' yer new fangled translatshuns-- dont matta reallie...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks but no Don. I've plenty of curtain crawlers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What exactly do you mean by a 'study Bible'? Can you use a Bible you currently own and jot your thoughts in a notebook? I keep just two Bibles: my trusty old KJV text only and a NIV student's Bible. The NIV is large with maps, commentary and study notes.
    [Now forgive me for a moment while I nag you about your extra Scriptures...]
    If you have that many Bibles lying around unused, please consider donating them to people who are in great need of the word. http://www.bf.org/bibledrive/cc.htm

    ReplyDelete